Today I got back from Hawaii. Beautiful, sunny, care-free Hawaii. I am now at home driving through the snowy, grey tundra I call home.
It is hard to come home from a trip and get back to reality. Big things happen when you are on vacation; different time zone, different schedule, different food, more drinks, and generally less physical activity. So when you get home things feel a little out of whack.
That is how I am feeling today. Instead of sulking and whining about how I wish I was back on vacation I am doing something different. I have collected up some delicious and healthy recipes, made a grocery list and bought my groceries for the week. I'm off to yoga class and making sure I drink lots of water and get a lot of rest today.
After a holiday you need a reboot. Get back into your healthy practices, the things that make you feel good and be SURE to get enough rest.
STEPS TO BEAT THE POST VACATION BLUES:
1. Get a lot of rest: jet lag can affect you even if it's only an hour to two time difference.
2. Drink water: Planes are horribly dry and if you live anywhere like Calgary, home is dry too! Moisturize too if you want to keep that tan a little longer.
3. Get groceries: As soon as you can get to the grocery store for some healthy food. It's easy to get in the habit of eating out when you have no food in your fridge. And it's probably pretty empty after you have been away for a while.
4. Forgive yourself: Don't beat yourself up over indulging too much on your trip. Vacations are meant to relax, bring joy and to take a break. You don't need to be restrictive on holidays, unless you are traveling for months at a time it really won't make much of a difference. But letting yourself enjoy your trip fully will make a big difference in your experience.
5. Love yourself: Remember you are always good enough. You are not a better person when you are dieting or always 'watching what you eat'. Yes focusing on eating nutritious food and being active is important but. when it's not happening you are not worth less because of it. You are perfectly imperfect; you will be whether you are losing weight, gaining weight, eating unhealthfully or eating salads all day long.
The key is while you're on your vacation be sure to enjoy yourself fully and try to get back into your good habits right when you get home.